COMP25212 - System Architecture
Note that this page is work in progress and some links might be broken or outdated.
Please let us know if you are missing anything important.
Materials will appear as the course advances.
Thanks for your patience.
Materials for Academic year 2016/2017
Back to the syllabus
Dr. Antoniu Pop
Dr. Javier Navaridas (course leader)
DA Patterson, JL Hennessy. Computer Organization and Design. The Hardware/Software Interface, Morgan Kaufmann
Exam (80%) +
Lecture Handouts (ppt and pdf)
- A deep analysis on how to exploit the benefits of cache memory in our programs can be found here.
- A visualization of Hard Disk Drive components and operation.
Pipelining examples PDF
Out of Order Pipelines PDF
- The original papers on CDC 6600, including the Scoreboard and on Tomasulo's algorithm
- A java applet simulating a Tomasulo pipeline can be found here
- A couple of background articles to read on hyperthreading:
first, an Intel Technical Journal special issue on hyperthreading
and the original 1997 paper on simultaneous multithreading.
- Some info about ARM A15.
- An interesting article about the future of microprocesors, detailing current and future limitations to be found by computer architectures in the near future.
Solutions to lecture exercises (and more) PDF
Laboratory Scripts (pdf)
Lab Script expt. 1 1 session
Lab Script expts. 2 & 3 2 + 1 sessions
Lab Script expt. 4 1 session
Exam + model answer 2016
Exam + model answer 2015
Exam + model answer 2014
Exam + model answer 2013
Older papers can be found